Friday, October 18, 2013

BUMP-- New York

guest post by Anissa!



This summer, I went on a mission trip to New York with my youth group from church. We were part of group called BUMP, which stands for   Bridging Urban Mission Project.  We left on a Friday night, and came back the next Sunday. We traveled by train and the trip was 30 hours there, and 27 hours back.  The ride itself was a little boring, but overall, it was a really cool experience.

 
 
While I was in New York, I worked at a VBS (vacation bible school) with first graders.  Most of the children were Chinese, and many of them didn’t speak English. I was also part of the praise band, and we were in charge of the worship music for the children each day.  During my time there, I was able to interact with lots of great kids. One child in particular really touched me. She really just tried to love on me, which I thought was sweet. She would hold my hand, walk with me, and sit with me during recess.

A usual day for us was waking up at 6:45 a.m., cleaning up our area, doing our daily

devotionals,and having breakfast at 7:30.  At 8 o’clock, we would start walking the kids to the church where the VBS was held.  We worked there until 2:30 p.m. when we would walk the kids back. On most days, right after that, we would go next door for the best ice cream I’ve ever had, and it was only $2. We would have a 30 minute break, and then walk a mile to have dinner with two other BUMP groups. We would stay there until about 8 p.m., then walk the mile back to where we were staying.


Wednesday and Thursday afternoons were exceptions to this schedule. On those days, we went sightseeing. On Wednesday, we took a ferry ride past the Statue of Liberty, then I bought a six dollar ice cream which wasn’t near as good as the two dollar ice cream!  We also rode the subway to Wall Street and saw the famous bull, Trinity Church (which was filmed in the movie National Treasure), Times Square all lit up at night, and, we tried to see the 9-11 memorial, but it was closed.  On Thursday, we went to Coney Island.  We walked on the sand, got ice cream, and others got Nathan’s hot dogs.


 
 
Friday night, everyone in our band (including me!) led the worship service. It was a wonderful night full of worship and prayer. Afterwards, people talked about how they have grown on this trip.   

Saturday morning we woke up at five a.m. and took a bus tour of New York.  At eleven, we boarded a train for Tampa. Although it was an exhausting week, I had lots of fun, grew in my faith, and I hope I’ll be able to go on another trip with my youth group.