Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks



Today is Thanksgiving in America and I find myself sitting in our SIL office in Tanzania, reflecting on how blessed our family is.  Even though Thanksgiving in Dar es Salaam is quite different, I know that God has brought us here for this time. 

Here, it is summer, not the traditional autumn season when we celebrate Thanksgiving.  But I am thankful for the green lushness that is appearing as a rainy season has begun.  New life is sprouting around us, and it is a gift.

Here, Thanksgiving is not celebrated, as it is an American holiday.  Today is business as usual.  Everyone is at work and school and there is no 4-day holiday.  But I am thankful for the people from the many different countries that I am blessed to be surrounded by.  I work with people from around the globe who all have a heart for Bible translation, how amazing is that?!?

Here, we have no family to celebrate with and we miss them so much!  But God has blessed us with close friends, even though our time here has been short.  I am so thankful that God has provided friends for each person in our family that we can enjoy spending time with and that we are able to celebrate Thanksgiving with today.  (And yes, we can get turkey here, though it is not common!)  J

Here, almost everything is different from what I am used to for Thanksgiving.  But I am thankful that God is my constant, never-changing rock.  So although I am surrounded by the unfamiliar, I know I can count on Him, leading me step by step down this unknown path, with the promise that although His ways are not my ways, and I may not always understand them, His plans are for always for good—not just for me, but for all of us who know Him.  And I find that the biggest reason to give thanks on this day.